In Honey Travel

European Christmas Markets Part I


I know, I know.. this happened TWO months ago. I have been seriously slacking in the blog department. The truth is.. this pregnancy has taken a toll on me and whenever I have some free time, I just want to rest! But we are almost halfway there (ohhhh, oh...) and I am kicking myself in gear to power through. I have so much to share!! House updates, cutie pics of our girl, pregnancy updates.. the list goes on. So here goes my attempt to catch up! 


We booked this trip almost two years ago so little did we know I would be 9 weeks pregnant. Nor did we know we would be living in Charlotte. So off to the Atlanta airport we went, tums and phenergan in hand! It was a long journey from Atlanta to Amsterdam to Budapest, but we made it! 


And first up was my one allotted caffeine drink of the day - cappuccino. (Yes, I'm still drinking a tiny amount of caffeine.. no judgement..) 


The European Christmas Markets have been on my bucket list for a lonnggg time. I am so thankful that we got to mark this one off - and glad we did it kid free. It was SO cold and SO crowded. 


Chestnuts roasting on an open fire... 



So sad I couldn't partake in the infamous gluhwein they had at every single market. AJ said it was like an apple cider / wine combo.



Made the mistake of not coming to this market hungry.. didn't make that mistake again! 






This is dough on a turning hot iron - then they coat it in cinnamon and sugar. SO good.






We stayed at the Ritz that night before getting on the boat the next morning. AJ's drink was too pretty to not snap a pic. 




The pictures of Budapest at night just don't do it justice.. it was the most magical Christmas scene ever. 



Around 3am I was wide awake with jet lag and I was starving so I ordered room service.. Just a big ole fruit plate was all I could stomach. The guy on the other line was so confused. I'm pretty sure room service at 3am usually involves a pizza or fries?? He was like, "uhh that's all??"


We got on the boat the next day, I had lunch, and immediately hopped in bed for my first of mannyyy naps. 


Next day - room service breakfast. This cruise was all inclusive, so why in the world would I put actual clothes on to go eat breakfast? 



We did a panoramic bus tour of Budapest to see all missed the day before. And I'll just let the pics do that talking.. 


















And it ended at the top of a castle with traditional Hungarian dancers and bubbly! 





After the tour, AJ and I had lunch at the Four Seasons before my spa appointment. 


I was just getting a pedicure, but I took advantage of the facilities before and after my appointment! 




I was all alone in there -- it was quite the dreamy afternoon.



Our walk back to the boat.. this is the caste we were on top of earlier in the day.


And we ended our evening back in the Crystal Dining room with E. What a wonderful time we had in Budapest. Would absolutely recommend!! 


The next day we were in Bratislava, Slovakia. This is somewhere I would have never gone if it would not have been on the cruise's itinerary. And I'm so glad we got the opportunity to do so!! 




Pictures never do snow justice.. it was a complete winter wonderland! We did another panoramic bus tour to hit the high spots. Again I'll let the pics do the talking :) 
















The history of this place was so incredible. My pregnancy brain can't remember a thing about it.. but trust me it was cool, haha! 



The Christmas market was COLD. And it was kinda raining / kinda snowing... Like I said, I am so glad we did this without kids. 





We ended the night back on the boat - we had dinner with the cruise director and society hostess. It was so neat to get a bunch of insights on the behind the scenes. We are pretty stinkin thankful to get to travel with E :) 


Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment